Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

Matt and I celebrated ten years of marriage a week ago today.  Wow!  It seems like yesterday, but yet I have a hard time imagining life without him.  I am truly blessed.  Now, I'm sure you are wondering why I bring this up in a post titled "Pumpkin Muffin."  The answer is quit simple, it was Matt who introduced me to the amazingness of Pumpkin Muffins while we were dating.  Matt had put together a pumpkin muffin recipe that was famous in his family and he made them for me.  One bite and I was in love...with the boy who made them and the muffins themselves. :-)  After we married, I was given permission to make the muffins myself.  I remember the shock I felt when I first saw the recipe.  They have veggies in them, they should be healthy...WRONG!  The original recipe has 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of oil, and 2 cups of sugar for 24 muffins.  So as the years went by, I continued to make them but in limited amounts each fall.

Then after Zane was born I started baking and experimenting with making healthier baked goods for my family.  One of the first recipes that needed tackling was the pumpkin muffins.  The first time I made this new and improved recipe for Matt I didn't tell him that they were his muffins healthified.  He gobbled them up.  I've continued to make them every fall and they are one of our family's favorite fall treats.  The new recipe has no eggs, no oil, and only 1/2 cup of butter and 1 1/3 cup sugar for 24 muffins.  Enjoy :-)

Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 24 muffins


1/2 cup butter, soften
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2t baking soda
1 cup applesauce
1 15 oz can pumpkin
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts...whatever make you happy!

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or line 24 muffin cups.

2. Cream together butter, brown sugar, white sugar.  You want to mix until it gets fluffy.



3. Dissolve the baking soda in the 1 cup of applesauce.  Combine the applesauce and pumpkin with the butter/sugar mixture.
4.  Add the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.  Mix in the flour one cup at a time.

5.  Fold in white chocolate chips or whatever you are using.


6. Fill grease/lined muffin tins about 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are firm on top.



7. Enjoy as soon as they are cool enough to not burn your mouth.  Zane was so excited to have one.  No sooner had I pulled the muffins out of the tin and turned around to grab my camera had Zane pulled up a stool and was drooling over them.  The smile is so big because I promised he could have one if he gave me a good smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment