Wednesday, February 23, 2011

...Makin' Banana Pancakes...


When Zane was a baby, he loved Jack Johnson.  I spent many nights walking the living room listening to Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes."  Little did I know that the lyrics to that song would inspire a recipe I now make 2-3 times a week.

One of the most popular foods in this house is pancakes.  I make pancakes about 2-3 mornings a week, every week.  For many years I used the Bisquick baking mix to make pancakes, but with the quantity that was being consumed in my house, I made it my mission to come up with a recipe that was both easy and healthy.

Back to pancakes.  Pancakes often are full of eggs, oil, & sugar.  It makes them yummy, but it also makes them full of empty carbs and fat.  About a year ago, I came up with a simple, yummy, healthy, and...by the way...whole wheat pancake recipe.  When I was thinking about what to replace the eggs, oil and sugar with, I was reminded of the "Banana Pancake" song.  I replaced applesauce for oil, ground flax seed for eggs, and bananas for the sugar/oil.  I save the leftover pancakes in the fridge and the boys toast them and enjoy them pretty much every morning of the week.  I've shared the recipe with lots of friends and was asked for it again today.  It got me thinking that it might be something that everyone would enjoy.

Hannah's Banana Pancakes
1 Banana, mashed
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
2 T ground flax seed
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 c milk
2 c whole wheat flour
1 c oatmeal
*Note: I often add 1t cinnamon or frozen or fresh berries.


1. Combine mashed banana, applesauce, ground flax seed, baking soda, and salt.  Add milk.  Mix in the flour and oatmeal.
2. Heat griddle to 250-300 degrees.  Melt butter.  Pour batter on griddle.  Cook each side 2-3 minutes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oooooh, Hannah! Thanks for sharing this. So I'm not the only one who makes banana pancakes 3 times a week!? I'll definately have to try out your recipe. I literally was making these the other morning with this song cranked up :-) My kids would eat these for every meal if I'd let them. With a recipe this healthy, I may consider it ;-) Thanks again! ~Cherie Bidwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMade them this am and were a hit! I didn't have any fresh flax seed, though, so I did use one egg as a sub (Adaya could use the cholesterol, anyway!). Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes my heart happy to hear others able to enjoy the yummy pancakes! BTW, I forgot to mention that I substitute the bananas for pumpkin in the fall...super yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had these from Beth! I love it and want to make them again...soon...; )

    ReplyDelete